Dr. Julio Davalos, Director of Chesapeake Urology's Advanced Kidney Stone program, is committed to his patients' health and overall well-being.
His top priority is to get you 100% stone free and keep you that way. The passing or surgical removal of a kidney stone is only the beginning of the journey that focuses on medical metabolic management and prevention of future kidney stones.
"The surgical treatment of a patient's kidney stone is just the beginning of a long relationship," says Dr. Julio Davalos. "My goal is to get all of my patients 100% stone free, and keep them that way for the long term."
A national Leader in Kidney Stone Treatment and Innovation - MORE THAN 2,500 PCNL and 1,500 Tubeless PCNL SURGERIES PERFORMED
Dr. Davalos has extensive experience in the most advanced treatments for kidney stone disease and stone treatment. In fact, he is one of the busiest kidney stone surgeons in the nation when it comes to performing the complex PCNL, Tubeless PCNL and Ambulatory PCNL procedures.
A national and international leader in the treatment of large kidney stones performing Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL) and ambulatory percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL), Dr. Davalos serves as the Director of Chesapeake Urology’s Advanced Kidney Stone Program. Under his leadership, Chesapeake Urology’s program was the first in the world to perform PCNL safely and effectively as an outpatient surgery in a free-standing ambulatory surgical center in 2015. Since then, Dr. Davalos continues to be a leader in ambulatory and outpatient PCNL surgery in the U.S., and globally.
Areas of Specialty include:
- Ambulatory Tubeless PCNL
- Endoscopic Combined Intra-Renal Surgery (ECIRS)
- Endoscopic management of upper tract stricture disease
- Flexible Ureteroscopy
- Kidney Stones
- Metabolic Evaluation for Stone Disease
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL)
- Renal Access–Fluoroscopic guided-ultrasound guided-endoscopic guided
- Surgical Treatment of Large and Complex Kidney Stones
- Tubeless PCNL
- Ultra-Mini and Micro PCNL
Treating the Whole Patient
Dr. Julio Davalos believes strongly in treating the whole patient, focusing on what caused the kidney stone to form in the first place and how to prevent those stones from recurring.
Dr. Davalos is keenly aware that removing a kidney stone is only a small step in helping you manage your overall health and keep you 100% stone free.
His focus is on:
- Identifying the factors that made the stone form in the first place.
- Surgically removing the stone utilizing the most advanced surgical techniques for optimal outcomes, if it cannot be passed naturally.
- Studying the stone and its composition to help in the development of a long term prevention plan that may include changes in diet.
- Providing metabolic medical management for long term care.
- Maintaining a schedule of follow-up care to help keep patients 100% stone free for the long term.
Leading the Way in Research and Innovation
Passionate about identifying the least invasive and most effective means for removing large and complex kidney stones, Dr. Davalos is also continuously involved in research as well as product development for new medical devices related to kidney stone treatment including tubeless PCNL. One such device that he now employs in his tubeless PCNL cases includes a surgical plug that allows him to perform this specialized procedure with high success rates.
His research on tubeless PCNL and the hemostatic plug was featured in The Journal of Endourology's March 2015 issue and cover.
Back to top
Read more about Dr. Julio Davalos Here.